top of page

Speech and Language Therapy


The Speech and Language Therapy Department offers a service to both children and adults with a wide range of communication difficulties.

I have concerns about a child's development, when should I refer them to Speech and Language Therapy?


Refer to the Stoke Speaks Out Staged Pathway to help you decide whether a child needs a referral. The flowchart will guide you through questions to ask and things to try first. You will need to obtain permission from parents or carers to refer a child to speech and language therapy.

Can I attend a child's speech and language therapy appointment?


Yes! If parents are happy for you to attend the sessions with them and their child we encourage you to attend. This will enable you to hear what strategies are in place and how you can support these within the setting. If you  are not able to attend, parents may share this information with you.

How do I find out how a child's SLT appointment went?


Speak to the child's parent or carer in the first instance as they may be happy to share any advice and information with you. With parental permission, you can also call the Speech and Language Therapy department on 01782 234484 if you would like to speak to the child's SLT directly.

How can support a child's speech & language targets?


As mentioned above, liaise with the child's speech and language therapist to find out how to support the child. If you've have been provided with a programme or targets, you may find some helpful demonstration videos in the SLT Activities section.

SLT stock photo 3.jpg
Speech & language Therapy referral form


You can download the form for referral to Staffordshire & Stoke-on-Trent speech & language therapy services below. Choose the correct form for the area in which the child lives.

Please use the Staged Pathway Toolkit to help you complete a referral.

SLT referral form Stoke-on-Trent, North Staffordshire and South West Staffordshire (covering Stoke-on-Trent, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire Moorlands, Stafford, Cannock, Rugeley, Stone, Penkridge, Codsall, Wombourne)

SLT referral form South East Staffordshire (covering Lichfield, Burntwood, Tamworth, Barton, Branston, Burton, Tutbury, Uttoxeter.)

bottom of page